Sunday 14 June 2015

Back to running

Since recovering from my knee injury at the beginning of the year, I have slowly been getting back into running. I have been taking baby steps to not re-injure my knee, and now I'm up to 5 km of running, but I do take a few walking breaks in between, but I know soon I'll be able to run the whole 5 km. This past Tuesday I went for a run after work, I only did 3 km and had to stop once to walk for a bit. I then did squats, lunges and leg lifts, and made sure to stretch at the end.
The above picture is an old one, it was taken in 2013 for the run or dye, which was a lot of fun! Yesterday was a beautiful day so I went for a run in the morning and did 5 km. For the first half I was able to run the whole way, but I did have to stop at the lights before I could continue. On the way back I again got stuck at the light and had to stop a few times before and after to walk a bit. It took me 34 minutes which is not bad timing. I again did exercises after and made sure to do my stretching.

Stretching at the end of a run or any exercise is so important, it helps prevent injuries and muscle soreness. So far so good with my knee, I haven't had any pain. I'm still going to the gym during my lunch hour at work, most days of the week as well as biking to work, when it's not raining. With a very cold and harsh winter, I did gain some weight, since I wasn't exercise as much either because of my knee injury. Well it's been a while since spring, and I have been doing a lot more exercise, and hitting markets for some fresh vegetables and fruit and going to my kitchen to make healthy meals, snacks and desserts. I thought the scale would go back down but so far it hasn't budged, but I know I'm being healthy and hopefully in time the scale will go back down.

Today is my hubby's birthday, so this morning I made some blueberry pancakes. We were suppose to have steak oscar last night for supper and crack open a more expensive wine to celebrate, but he's been sick since Wednesday and he's not back to 100% health yet, so we will have to do that another night. Tonight I plan to make some pasta for supper, and I also want to surprise him with a blueberry pie. It's his favorite, and I have store bough dough on hand, and plenty of blueberries. I'm just going to create my own pie by mixing lots of blueberries, with a bit of maple syrup to sweeten it up a bit more, and also with 2 tbsp of arrowroot (or you can use cornstarch), to help thicken it. I haven't perfected pie crust or even pizza crust, but would like to create a healthier crust at some point. Going to keep trying out different recipes, or try to do my own to figure out a healthy but delicious crust. I'm not sure what else yet I'll be doing in the kitchen today, I haven't really planned anything, but I'll look through my books and see what recipe I can put together with what I have on hand.

Hope your all having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment