Saturday 9 August 2014

Organization

Yesterday I decided to get myself organized by chopping vegetables. First I grabbed the lettuce and chopped it up with my plastic knife (can use a metal knife but the greens tend to brown more quickly). Once all chopped up, I put it in my trusty salad spinner to give them a good wash
Then I put it all into a large zip lock bag. I also cleaned and chopped my radishes, celery and broccoli. You'll notice in the picture below that I kept the stems of the broccoli, they are great to put threw the juicer, or even to chop up and add to salads, soups or stews. They have lots of nutrients in the stems as well, and why throw away something that you can eat.
 With chopping your vegetables ahead of time, it makes it easier to grab when your in a rush. With those vegetables all prepared, I can easily put together a salad, or just grab some to snack on. Since I was having fun in the kitchen, I also prepared a coleslaw, and made some chocolate chip cookies. For supper we enjoyed small steaks on the BBQ with the coleslaw and some mashed potatoes.

Yesterday I took out some dough from the freezer, and will roll it out, create squares, and then put fruit in the middle and fold it over and bake those in the oven. Will be a great dessert, and for supper I am making macaroni (I use brown rice pasta) with tomato sauce, and will of course add lots of vegetables. If there's left over, it will make a great lunch at work.

It only takes a bit of time to get yourself organized in the kitchen over the weekend, and then it makes things a lot easier during the work week to put together lunches, snacks and suppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment