Saturday 4 July 2020

Salads and dressings!

I absolutely love salads! Unfortunately lately I haven't been eating many of them so when I did groceries yesterday, I decided to get a lot of different veggies to make some different salads, more specifically, Buddha bowls! This was my lunch today
So this Buddha bowl has a nice mix, there's lettuce, a mix of quinoa and lentils that I cooked up. I also added some orange pepper, alpha sprouts, pea sprouts, cucumber, kimchi, flax and pumpkin seeds. I added the Italian dressing I made, which I will share the recipe below. It was a nice mix, it was absolutely delicious!

I will be creating a lot more Buddha bowls this week. Other veggies I have on hand are radishes, fennel, which I have already sliced up so it's ready to add. I bought some spiraled beets, red onions, carrots, a mix of greens (kale, spinach and collard greens), not to mention my kale in my back yard, and I do have my herbs that I can add in as well. Don't think I forgot anything. I do have fruits as well that I can add for some sweetness. I got this yesterday as well
I tend to get a few baskets every year. I saw that they have been there for a while selling baskets but I haven't taken the time to stop but yesterday was a must! They are so good!! This was my breakfast this morning
My omelette has chopped red onions, mushrooms, the mix of greens, with 2 eggs, and I also added some goat cheese for creaminess, and had a few fresh strawberries along with that. It was a very tasty breakfast!!

Back to the Buddha bowls. So I do have the strawberries that I can add, I have nectarines, and apples that I can also add in. Of course there's always nuts and seeds for some nice crunch, and I have a variety of them so I plan to mix and match to make every bowl different. I also have some avocados for more creaminess, and I still have some goat cheese and some feta cheese as well. The cooking show I watched, she suggested adding some fermented foods to Buddha bowls, and it's a great idea since it's great for gut health. So that's why I added kimchi to my bowl. I bought more yesterday since I was almost out, and I also have some sauerkraut.

Now for some tasty homemade dressings that I made
These two I found the recipe online and they sounded delicious so I gave them a try, and they both turned out good!

First one is Greek Style Vinaigrette. In my Vitamix blender I added the following ingredients

3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 tbsp green onion
3 tbsp Feta cheese
salt and pepper
1 tsp fresh oregano leaves (they didn't have any in store nor do I have it in my garden so I used dry)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

The other is an Italian dressing. Also all done in my blender, here are the ingredients

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp Fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried
1/4 medium onion (about 2 tbsp or 2 tsp onion powder)
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp fresh basil or 2 tsp dried
1 tbsp fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried
1 clove of garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper

I had everything fresh except the oregano. Also instead of using Parmesan cheese I used Pecorino Romano cheese, as it's sheep's milk instead of cow's milk for the parm cheese.

I'll be sure to take photo's of my other bowls I create this week. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment