Monday 15 December 2014

Carrot cake cookies

In the winter I tend to crave soup a lot more. It's comforting to have a nice warm bowl of soup. So I decided to make a butternut squash soup. I used part of my butternut squash for a risotto that I made. I cut up the other half of the butternut squash, shopped up a small onion, 2 carrots, and sauted them in a pot with a bit of olive oil, then I added homemade chicken stock that I made a while back, and let it come to a boil and then cooked on medium heat until the butternut squash was soft. I then used a hand blender and pureed it all. I also added a touch o;vf salt, some pepper and some nutmeg. This gave me two lunch size portions which was perfect, and it was really good. You can of course use vegetable stock but I really needed to use up the broth since it has been in my freezer for a while.

I also decided to try out a new recipe from the thud kitchen cookbook, I tried the carrot cake cookies, here's the recipe:

1 1/2  cups of flour (whole wheat, pastry or white) - I used spelt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger (I used fresh ginger)
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup plain almond or other nondairy milk
1/4 cup olive or grapeseed oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins or chopped candied ginger

Heat your oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ground ginger. Make sure there are no lumps of brown sugar hanging around in there. In a smaller bowl, mix together the shredded carrots, milk, and oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir all that until there are only a couple dry spots. Fold in the nuts and raisins and stir until there aren't any dry spots. Scoop spoonfuls of the dough onto the baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake until the bottoms are golden brown. 18 to 22 minutes.
My hubby doesn't like raisins so I left those out since I didn't have or wasn't interested in added candied ginger. They were really good! I would for sure make this recipe again, but next time I'll try it with coconut sugar to make it healthier.

Christmas is just around the corner, so I think my next post might only be in the new Year. I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Christmas, and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment