Sunday 2 November 2014

Steak oscar and strawberry jam

A few weeks ago I was watching the Pioneer Woman, and got a really great recipe, steak oscar. You end up paying a lot of money when you order this at a restaurant, and I'm sure it's not as healthy as this recipe. We both loved it, and will make it from time to time.

Cook up a really great steak fillet that is thick cut so you can cook it up medium rare if that's what you like. The only thing you should add on the steak is salt and pepper. We cooked up ours on the BBQ, along with some asparagus, which I added some olive oil, salt and pepper.

Hollandaise Sauce: In a pot melt a stick of butter until it's melted and hot. In a blender add 2 egg yolks, then add in the juice of a lemon, pulse it a little bit. Remove the middle part of the lid so you can stream in the butter. Turn on your blender while slowly streaming in your hot butter, you will see that it will start to thicken as your going. Once butter is all in, turn off, and add quite a bit of salt and some pepper and just a small dash of cayenne pepper, and you can add a bit of fresh tarragon (1 tsp), but I didn't have any on hand so didn't add that. Turn on for a few seconds to mix up the seasonings and then it's ready.

In a pan fry up some shrimp. Doesn't take long, so this is why you cook this last. Plate up by putting your steak (make sure to let it rest before you cut into it), add shrimp on and around your steak and poor the sauce over it. She had cooked up a mushroom rice with this but I decided on some mashed potatoes and gravy. It was absolutely delicious! We enjoyed it with some red wine.

Today I decided to try a new cookie recipe, and made some peanut butter and jam cookies, and they turned out great, although I did have to add more liquid because I did follow the recipe but the batter was way to dry to form cookies, so I added more maple syrup. It called for any sort of flour, so I used buckwheat, and of course the peanut butter is all natural (only ingredient is roasted peanuts).

As for the jam, instead of buying one that is loaded with sugar and preservatives, I created my own, I used some frozen strawberries (can use any berry or fruit you want) and I put a layer at the bottom of a pot with a splash of maple syrup, and let it come to a light boil, then used my potato masher to mash them up.
I let it cook a while, then added it to a bowl with 2 tbsp of chia seeds (they act as a gelatin, but way healthier as they are a super food).
I mixed it up, and then put it in the fridge to let it do it's magic. Then I got the cookies ready and baked them in the oven. Once they came out I added my homemade jam on top.
So delicious and healthy! For the next little while I'll also be cutting back on meat. I have been eating quite a bit lately and it's causing some endometriosis pain for me. So I'm cutting back a lot and also going to go as gluten free as I can, and the pain should go away. From the book signing I went to, Joy told me how gluten free will also help my endometriosis, and it's the first time I have ever heard that, so will give it a try and see how I feel. I will let you know how it's going.

Hope everyone turned their clocks back an hour, and hope everyone had a great Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment