Monday 9 June 2014

Mud Hero

A little over a week ago I went to Mud Hero. First time doing something like this and it was tough but a lot of fun! This race is 6 km with 18 obstacles along the way. I got to run a while before we hit our first obstacle, which was dirty water that went up to my waste. Then I had to climb walls, walk through mud, climb a netted wall, then we ran through wooded areas. I also had to run through little cabins which are set up for paintball, and then got to a blow up slide which I had to climb up first. There was another slide that I got to go down, which we then landed in dirty water which helped clean me off a bit. Soon after though we were walking in more mud, which some were waste level, so very difficult to get out of there. I had to climb a wall using a rope, walk across a wooden beam, which there was water under in case you fell. Right towards the end I had another wall to climb up on and there was a net in between, then had to climb back down

Then the last part was lots of mud and the wooden bar you see at the far left of the picture, we had to go under that, so we got mud on our faces and got our bodies completely covered
Then when I crossed the finish line I got my medal! It took me 1 hour and 9 minutes to complete it.
They had showers available to help wash off some of the mud, which I brought extra clothes to change into. I wore old running shoes because I figured I would just throw them out after, but they did offer to donate your shoes at the end, they wash them, and give them to someone in need. My clothes washed out pretty good, but did have to put them in the wash three times to get them really nice and clean. 

Would I do this again? Absolutely! Even though I had a lot of sore muscles, which I thought my legs would hurt the most but it was actually my upper body. I guess with all the wall climbing, nets, and using my arms to help me get out of the mud. It was a really good workout!

If your looking for a challenge and want to do something new, give this a try. You do get a really nice t-shirt, muscle milk at the end of your race (protein drink), and with returning your timing chip I got a free beer! Most importantly though, with registering, the money goes to really great causes, check out their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment