Sunday 29 June 2014

Apple Pancakes

Today has been exactly a year since I lost my mom, therefore I'm sharing her famous apple pancake recipe. I remember making this with her when I was a kid, and sometimes we would swap the apples for freshly picked blueberries. Here's her recipe:

Apple Pancakes

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 well-beaten egg yolks
2 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
1 cup finely chopped apples
2 stiffly beaten egg whites (with a hand mixer until it looks like whipped cream)

Sift together dry ingredients. Combine egg yolks and milk. Pour into dry ingredients; stir well. Stir in butter and apples. Fold in egg whites. Let batter stand a few minutes. Bake on hot griddle using 1/3 cup batter for each, spreading evenly. Enjoy with maple syrup. Makes 12

I do still make this recipe from time to time because they really are the best pancakes. My mom was amazing in the kitchen, and I'm really missing her cooking. I'll be seeing my dad, brother, sister in law, nieces and nephews today, to spend some time together and remembering my mom, we all miss her and love her very much!

I also made a banana, blueberry and chocolate chip loaf this morning, which the recipe comes from the cookbook, Cook with Kindness. The recipe did call for strawberries, but I had fresh blueberries on hand so swapped it, and it was delicious.
Last night, my hubby and I relaxed and watched movies, and for supper I tried a new recipe I saw on the food network, and Giada really knows how to put together a chicken and leek Cornish turnover, we both loved it! I prepared my own coleslaw, and the dressing was apple cider, Dijon, mayo with some paprika and a touch a salt and some pepper. We had this with an Ontario red wine.
Supper was delicious and the wine paired nicely with supper. This wine is one of our favorites.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Canada Day on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment