Sunday 16 February 2014

Weekend in the kitchen

I know it's been a while since my last post, been pretty busy, but this weekend I took the time to cook up some things in the kitchen. The first thing I made was guacamole, I use the Epicure spice, and instead of using sour cream, I use Greek yogurt, with some lime juice and avocado. Then I ended up making a macaroni salad. I went down to Sudbury last Sunday, and my cousin and I were talking about how hard it is to come up with different ideas to bring for lunch at work. She mentioned macaroni salad, so decided to make it. I made it with brown rice pasta, but another good option is whole wheat pasta. Here's my recipe that I put together yesterday:

Macaroni Salad









1 bag (about 2 cups) of brown rice pasta (macaroni), cooked, and let it cool
3 eggs, boiled, then chopped
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 large carrot, grated
4 green onions, chopped
4 radishes, halved, then sliced
1 tbsp of fresh parsley, minced
1 tsp paprika
A touch of salt, and lots of pepper
1tbsp of Dijon mustard
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Mayonnaise

Cook your pasta first, and let it cool, as well as your eggs. Boil your eggs, which if you want perfectly boiled eggs, the trick is to put the eggs in a pot, and add water till it covers the eggs, put on the stove, covered, and put it on high, once the water boils, turn off the heat only, and don't do anything else, then put a timer of 10 minutes, once the time is up, your eggs are ready. Put under cold water to cool it down, remove the shell, and then quarter the eggs and dice them up. Chop up all your veggies, you can add more or different vegetables if you want, then add to a bowl, along with your eggs and pasta.  Add your spices, then add the Dijon, apple cider vinegar. The mayo, I just add a bit at a time until the salad is well blended. Refrigerate once it's all mixed, and let it cool at least an hour before serving.

This morning, I ended up making some apple pancakes for breakfast. My mom got the perfect recipe for pancakes, we would make some once in a while on weekends, we would usually add apples or freshly picked blueberries. I'll share the recipe in another post. I also made some healthy banana muffins, how is it healthy? Well I used spelt flour, coconut flour and oil, maple syrup and almond milk, chia seeds, along with vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, a touch of salt, and also added walnuts.

I haven't tried a muffin yet, but they smelled so good! Did you have time to cook/bake this weekend? If so, what did you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment