Monday 8 October 2018

Fall

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the comfort it brings, with weather being a bit cooler, you get to wear a comfy sweater, and can bundle up under a blanket while reading a book. I absolutely love the colors it brings outside as well
If I can find a path like this one to run along, I'm so happy! I also do like walking and hiking, especially if it's with someone else so you can talk, and enjoy the beauty. Summer tends to be way to hot to exercise outside, and winter way to cold which is why I love the fall as well. Spring can be pretty great as well but it's messier cause you have snow that's melting.

I have been getting out there more often to run and I'm really enjoying every minute of it. I plan to go out for a run today. Thanks to a compress work schedule I had Friday off. I spent the morning cleaning the house and than went out for a 7 km run. It was my best time in a very long time and felt great!  Today I just plan to run 5 km. Can't over do it or else I will cause an injury. It's also the long weekend so have today off for Thanksgiving. We celebrated last night with my dad, brother, sister in law, nieces and nephews. My dad cooked the turkey, my brother brought salad and pumpkin pie, and I brought the potato dish. We did make a stop to so hubby can get a few beers and also grabbed a new wine to try out and it was really good. I decided to make something different and it worked out cause everyone really liked it.

I did forget to take a photo, but I did a mix of butternut squash and sweet potatoes. I grabbed one butternut squash, took the peel off and the seeds out and cut the squash into bite size pieces. I peeled 3 medium size sweet potatoes and cut those in bite size pieces as well. I added some coconut oil and baked it in the over at 400 for 12 minutes. I gave them a toss and put them back in for 14 minutes. While that was in the oven I took 3 small onions and cut them into small pieces, and grabbed a few mushrooms and cut those into small pieces as well and cooked them in a pan on medium low heat until they were cooked up nicely. Towards the end of the cooking process I added 3 minced garlic cloves and added some fresh herbs from my garden which is now moved into the house cause herbs don't like to cold weather. I grabbed some rosemary, and minced that up, and added it in. In an oven safe pot I added all the potatoes and squash, added a splash of almond milk, some pepper, and mashed them up. I evened it out to add the onion/mushroom mix on top and than sprinkled some fresh minced chives on top. Once we got to my dad's I put it in the oven at 200 until we were ready to eat, which was about an hour later.

Supper was delicious!! I did a gravy with the pan drippings from the turkey. My dad had garlic butter so used that with some flour to create a rue and than added the juice of the turkey and I ended up having to add a splash of water. I added a bit of salt and some pepper and some Worcestershire sauce to add some color, but it was still missing some flavor so I looked to see what my dad had in his cupboard and found some Epicure turkey gravy so I added 2 tsp of that and it was perfect at that point.  We got to play some cards, and had a lot of laughs. Such a great night with family.

I  hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment