Saturday 18 October 2014

Thanksgiving

I'm overdo with this post, but last weekend was Thanksgiving, and I had my dad over for supper. My brother went hunting so we are going to his place tomorrow to celebrate. Since we were just three people for supper, I got the smallest turkey I could find, which was 8 lbs.

To start, I got my desert ready first, and made my absolute favorite, apple crisp. I'm pretty sure it's my sister in law that found this recipe, and it was so good that she shared it with my mom and I, and we would each make it from time to time and it would disappear fast.When it was everyone together, we would triple this recipe, and since we were going to be three I decided to double the recipe because I'm completely fine with having some left. Here's the recipe:

3 cooking apples
2 tbsp of water
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
Dash of salt
3 tbsp of soft butter
1/2 cup brown sugar (used Demerara sugar)
1/3 cup flour (used spelt, and some oats)

Heat oven at 350 F. Butter casserole dish. Peel and slice apples into casserole. Sprinkle with water, cinnamon and salt. Blend remaining ingredients to make a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle over apples and pat down lightly. Bake for 40 minutes.

 
You can make changes to this recipe, you can use whatever flour you would like, but a healthier one is for sure recommended. You can also use oats only, and the sugar you can always use different ones as well, like coconut sugar.
If your wondering what Demerara sugar is, here's a great explanation:
"Demerara is a light brown, partially refined, sugar produced from the first crystallization during processing cane juice into sugar crystals (this process is similar to what happens with naturally evaporated cane juice). Unlike brown sugar, which has the added molasses flavor, Demerara has a natural caramel-like flavor that hasn’t been refined out. This lends warm caramel notes to whatever you add the sugar. Also, Demerara sugar is also referred to as Turbinado sugar in many markets, which has more to do with how the sugar is processed in turbines, than where it originates."

So not the healthiest sugar, but tastes great in this recipe.

Next on the list was getting the turkey in the oven. For my marinate I used the turkey rub from Epicure and added onions and chicken stock. I then prepared my garden salad.
I used romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, red onion, cucumbers and radishes. We of course had to have stuffing so I created my own and it turned out really good. The bread I often buy from Farm boy had gone dry, so it was the perfect way to use it up rather then let it go to waste, so I chopped up the bread into cubes
Then I diced up some celery and an apple, and used the sage and apple stuffing seasoning from Epicure
I boiled up some water and added the spice, celery, apple, and bread and mixed it up. I added it to a dish and roasted it in the oven
Once the turkey came out of the oven I did used some of the juices at the bottom and made a gravy using arrowroot to thicken it. Which I of course also made some mashed potatoes. Here's our supper
We did also have an Ontario red wine with supper. It was absolutely delicious!

What did a do with the left over turkey, well I made a wonderful soup that we love, and we also had some turkey sandwiches. Other great things to use left over turkey is to create a turkey pot pie, or you can add it to salads, stir fry's, and so much more.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment